I've updated a few of you about recent events involving our adoption, but realize that many of you may not be aware of some issues and would ask that you commit these to fervent prayer.
First, as you probably know, our dossier was submitted in early February and we anticipated an approval by September...October at the latest. I've been stalking my own inbox waiting for that happy email from our representative at Children's Hope International, Nichole Deal. Unfortunately, contact came in a very difficult phone call instead. Last Friday Nichole called with some disappointing news. There is one family requesting a baby awaiting approval ahead of us. However, she received a rejection for a family requesting two children who submitted a month or so after us. They were declined because their paperwork expired. Nichole's issue with this is that the paperwork expired because they're taking so dang long to approve. Additionally, she's concerned with the fact that potential adoptive families originally from Colombia are moved to the top of the pile even though their adoptions take significantly less time to complete. Why would they not approve those that take the longest to wait first? It's not as if we're requesting the same children!
Anyway, all that being said to say that Nichole was devastated to call me in preparation to a two-week trip to Colombia, where she expects some of our paperwork to be expired. Paperwork that takes 2-3 months to update, mind you. That's if both parents are home and have access to US government offices...aha, you're seeing more of the problem, aren't you? Right! So with Jonathan leaving the country this week and having been on a military base for the last 30 days there wasn't much hope things would work out in our favor.
After a good cry and a phone call explaining what I could to Jonathan, I came home and began digging. Praise the LORD in His goodness and foresight, he had me prepare two original sets of fingerprints from our local police department. You may remember these were the same fingerprints that I sent to the FBI for our background checks, that they signed for and then proceeded to lose in the building. As crazy of a time that was, God's hand was there too. From when I submitted the prints to when they were found and someone finally helped me, the FBI issued a new form for requesting background checks. So, I had another form to fill out, but again, what possessed me to have Jonathan and I both sign two originals? I know it was the Lord! And, bonus: these forms don't have dates when they are signed. So in a matter of minutes, I had prepared another packet ready to go to the FBI for what we believe will be expired documents once Nichole returns. They went in the mail certified for delivery today.
First crisis averted. Second, Colombia is now requesting a more thorough medical screening as do many countries. Why in the world the military has drawn these same tests on Jonathan is beyond me, but again, God's timing and the fact that he's serving with a medical battalion has helped and he was able to secure review of blood work, a doctor's approval, notarization, and two additional finger print forms (just in case) and get them to the post office to me today. We also learned that should these tests not have been completed and reviewed here, the lab overseas would NOT have been able to draw them. Praise God for a 4 day delay on his deployment!
Lastly, Nichole wants me to wait to have these same tests drawn because insurance will probably NOT cover them and they will be a substantial cost. Some families have been "grandfathered" in and not needed the tests, but if our dossier is delayed or rejected because of expired documents, we may not make the cut. If that's the case, FINE, whatever...take whatever blood you need, just help me get our baby.
So, I guess that's the long and the short of it. Pray for all these details. Pray they're unnecessary proactive actions and that when Nichole arrives in Colombia, they'll hand her our approval. Pray also that as she works with the ICBF (Colombian child welfare equivalent) that she'll be able to control her frustration and come to a resolution that will move these adoptions back to an acceptable timeline...we're 14 months into it and as it stands now, once we're approved we have a 3 years and 11 month wait. That's unacceptable. Pray Nichole can find a way to cut that time back substantially. Two or 2 1/2 years would be ideal for us because Jonathan would be back and we'd be settled into a routine again and definitely ready to travel and get our Forever Child.
Ultimately, though, I have realized these last few days that the Lord has ordained every day of my life and those of my children and when we'll become a family. I'm not waiting on Colombia, I'm waiting for God's perfect timing. Pray I wait patiently. Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.